Rediculousness

Tourists in India

Saturday, February 25

With only a few days left in India I've been getting rather reflective on everything here. Being in Rishikesh surrounded by people seeking spiritual enlightenment or just getting high also helps. I've been thinking about the different types of tourists that you find floating around this huge country and trying to categorize them. Here's what I've come up with. Please feel free to expand the list.

1. Where's the beach
There are many people, especially in south India who came here for a relaxing vacation only to quickly realize that there are few things about traveling in India that are relaxing. Perfectly representing them were the couple I sat with having dinner last night. They were debating over what cheap hotel to stay at and the women said, "Is there one with a heater and a fireplace we can stay in?" and the guy then said, "well whatever, we need a tv because I'm not going to spend the day in little chai shops again."

2. I found myself
There are many all over India taking meditation and yoga classes or staying in rural areas talking about how the Lonely Planet is the devils book. I saw a guy yesterday who had dirty dreads, spit on the sidewalk and then peed right beside it. Hmmm, maybe I don't want to be enlightened?

3. You have health insurance right?
I figure this is where myself and most of us fit in here. We are having fun, traveling and willing to try anything once or twice. While occationally in trouble with the local police we generally blend (blend is obviously a relative term) into Indian society and can carry on a conversation in Hindi if it doesn't go beyond hello, what's your name and a bartering.

It's a little sad to think I will not be a tourist for much longer :-(
nicholas, 3:02 AM

6 Comments:

The final Countdown, eh?

And what happens to the blog my friend?

Aman
Blogger 30.45 N,76.48 E, at 5:52 AM  
That's a very good question, especially since my URL is going to be difficult to overcome once I'm not in India? I will ponder and let you know but I've gotten rather attached to the bloggin thing and Kent seems to have made a nice transition to olympic cometator and general analyst life.

I guess you'll have to wait and see.
Blogger nicholas, at 7:26 AM  
I think you can change your URL.

Don't forget this category:

4. Dropping the money bomb

These people have no idea that India is cheap. They show up and are immediately whisked away to fancy hotels. Then buses take them to tourists traps such as rajasthan and Agra. Ever seen a government emporium shop owner right before a tour bus is set to arrive?
Blogger kent, at 8:27 AM  
You should keep your blog going. Give us Canadians stranded in distant places updates of our home and native land.
Blogger Unknown, at 10:24 PM  
You should keep your blog going. Give us Canadians stranded in distant places updates of our home and native land.
Blogger Unknown, at 10:25 PM  
Hey,

Give us a tourist view of your travails in Canada,
and I am sure you have more travellin to do, as forthe URL, Your call tiger.
Blogger 30.45 N,76.48 E, at 3:25 AM  

Add a comment