Rediculousness

Winters Here and Special Coffee's at Work

Sunday, October 29

Before you read this you should know that I like winter. Now I'll complain about the cold as much as the next person but when it comes down to it I love winter and when I've been in places that don't really have it I feel like something is missing. Some people find that attitude annoying so there's the warning.

Winter always feels like a time to retreat into your warm home, your friends, your mind. It's been snowing here on and off for the last couple weeks but in the last two days we finally got that first snowfall that stays on the ground blanketing the whole world in a white wrap that muffles everything except the crunch under your shoes. As it usually goes the cold and snow came right before Halloween leaving me running around as a zombie cheerleader freezing while trying in vain to catch a cab, But that's a story for another day.

The spirit that comes out of people with the first snowfall was in the air at my restaurant today. A big table came in and were clearly coming down off a party last night. Aren't we all! Wearing pj's and all talking about the night before, a guy asked us if we had baileys. We didn't but we suggested he walk down to the liquor store and grab a bottle if he wanted it. He promptly did that and when he got back he not so discretely went around the restaurant helping out anyone who wanted a little warm up in their coffee.

I stood behind the counter taking a quick break from the busy restaurant sipping my baileys and coffee from a stranger and watching the snow fall out our fogged up windows while all the customers did the same. Something about cold, snowy winters creates these surreal moments and you can't help but love them.
nicholas, 3:32 PM

3 Comments:

The snow looks beautiful. It felt cold enough to snow in Seattle today, but of course it was only rain. I love your story about the Baileys at work.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 PM  
Best part about winter in Canada: the Canadian blanket.
Blogger kent, at 6:49 AM  
omg...that made my day
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

Add a comment