Rediculousness

The Daily Commute - Double Double?

Thursday, January 11

I’ve been working in a new office for the past few weeks which means I have a whole new commute to the northern reaches of what the still call Toronto though I think when you have to pay to transfer to a new transit system you can consider that leaving the city. A half hour on the subway followed by another 25 min on the bus gives much time for contemplation. This morning I was pondering Tim Hortons or Timmies as most people call it.

For any non Canadian readers, Tim Hortons is a Mecca of donuts and watery coffee well loved across this country. It’s a national symbol even though it’s not a Canadian company anymore. The reason I was pondering Timmies is that in the Finch subway station there is a store. With 3 little cashiers on the three sides, the line ups block the rest of the station. It’s actually pretty amazing to see this tiny little store underground with people circling it like they’re giving away golden bricks.

I enjoy donuts and coffee as much as the next person and their donuts are not bad but they’re certainly not gold bricks and a double double (coffee with two cream and two sugar) makes me want to die. That was my random observation this morning. Maybe I’ll get a donut tomorrow morning but I’d have to leave abit earlier so I could stand in line.
nicholas, 2:45 PM

4 Comments:

My mom affectionately calls it Tim Horky's. They have a Sunday morning ritual involving various Horkish 'delicacies' and some blackish liquid that passes as coffee. They've been doing it for years now. I think it's more of a habit; a chance to sit and watch the world walking through their little Tim Horky.
Blogger Lightfooted, at 4:30 PM  
Tim Hortons is no longer owned by Wendy's it is a public standalone company haedquartered in Canada, it's back home!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  
Right, I forgot they did an IPO not too long ago. Thanks for the reminder.
Blogger nicholas, at 7:23 AM  
big brother watchin?
Blogger 30.45 N,76.48 E, at 2:59 AM  

Add a comment