Rediculousness

Tuesday Review - Near Death & Detox at Bikram

Tuesday, March 6

Bikram Yoga Class
Near Dundas West, Toronto (the studio name has been omitted for reasons of anonymity)
**/5

I didn’t get around to doing a review of anything the last couple of weeks so even though it’s not Thursday I think it’s about time to write one. Plus I’m currently not on a project and looking for a new role at work which leaves me with the strange and relatively foreign sensation of boredom…

Jodie recently got a job at Lululemon which is a big chain of stores selling yoga and athletic wear. As a side note the company was originally started in Vancouver and is now a huge chain across North America. As part of her job she is encouraged to go to yoga a couple times a week so on Saturday night I accompanied her and her friend Emily to my first ever yoga class (I don’t count the one I got in India where I learned all about the philosophy of yoga in a dark and slightly creepy basement and had a chai with the instructor who never actually got around to teaching any poses).

I was warned before the class that it would take place in a hot room and I should bring a towel and a change of clothes. I disregarded the towel comment, how hot could it be? So I headed out with an extra tshirt in my bag. At the studio we quickly got changed and headed up the over crowded room. It was pleasantly warm and as a lay there with the lights off I thought, This will be a nice relaxing class like a day at the beach or something. When the lights came up I looked around and saw everyone one laying on towels and the instructor shirtless turning up the heat and cranking up the 4 space heaters that were in each corner of the room. I was luck enough to be in the back corner right next to one of them.

The instructor was a tough looking guy from some Mediterranean country I’m guessing and he timed out our poses making sure no one was cheating while he went around the room adjusting us. As we moved through the first few poses my clothing began to slowly change color along with my face. On the third pose I was about ready to pass out when the instructor gave us an encouraging pep talk about how well we had done and that the warm up was almost over! An hour later in a pool of my own sweat the class ended where it began with me lying in the dark room on my back. After litres of water and some recovery time I went out into the winter wearing my soaked through capris workout pants hoping to cool off. With my tshirt seeping through my bag I froze on the way home but it was a welcome reverse from the dizzying heat of the past hour.

In the end I enjoyed the yoga but the heat seemed a little unnecessary. Apparently my body is now detoxified which left me with an overwhelming urge to have a beer afterwards.
nicholas, 8:49 AM

4 Comments:

nick,

have you not been reading my blog about? I have been doing bikram from quite some time, I could have told you about the towel.

The first class is the worst. Make sure to go back, it really gets better.

You'll notice that the breathing exercises get a lot easier as you progress. It is really a glorious practice. I recommend it to everyone. I have made a couple of friends into converts.

Did you make it through the class? It's pretty impressive if you did not have to lay down at any point. I was really surprised by the amount of sweat that dripped out of me. I had no idea that was possible.

k
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 PM  
ps - my favourite pose is "wind removing pose". If I had the energy to laugh, I would!

kasia
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  
Well they gave us a free class when we paid for the first so I'll be back. I only had to lay down once. We were doing the back bridge thing and I was like, wow, gonna pass out. I didn't know I could sweat so much either... I'll check it out again if you think it's good stuff.
Blogger nicholas, at 8:48 AM  
oooh, babe! Your new layout is nifty! It's pared-down and so green and lovely. But you have to change just one thing: I'm Jodie in Toronto with you now.

Muah!

P.S. I have to say Bikram certainly isn't my favourite way of getting all hot n'sweaty. I've never felt quite so close to dying while working out. At least you were there with me, all sweaty and fainty too. Mmmm, shared agony....

And Kasia - Nicholas did go the whole class without having to sit down once. It was pretty impressive.
Blogger Lightfooted, at 8:26 PM  

Add a comment