Rediculousness

Spelling

Saturday, April 21


Most of you who know me know that spelling is not my strong point. After spending some time with the kids that eat glue in the "special class" in grade 3 I discovered that I wasn't all that slow, that glue doesn't taste good and that somewhere in my brain where things are spelled was a busy doing something else.

It should come as no surprise then that I've never played Scrabble. In fact the very thought of a game of spelling is repulsive and sounds way to much like when teachers try to pass off math as a game. So I was a little horrified that my girlfriend claimed it as one of her favorite games. So a couple of weeks ago I decided to surprise her and picked up the game despite my gut reaction to run when I see those little wooden letters.

As it turns out I'm not half bad at scrabble. I wouldn't say it's super fun but there was definitely a thrill when I put down "hipster" for 30+ points. In the end I lost the game, or did I. See Jodie was using the internet as a dictionary which I quickly realized would allow her to use any combination of letters and claim it was a word. I'm pretty sure I won but you be the judge. Words that are not words tend to be hers and I'm not sure I'll ever trust her again if she cheats at spelling. Right up there with stealing lollipops from babies while they're sucking on them.
nicholas, 8:56 AM

2 Comments:

nick,

i am very impressed with your scrabble skills. i remember the days you were in the 'resource room' while jeremy was in the accelerated program... haha. at least they figured it out pretty quickly that you didn't belong there!

oh, and i dont think any dictionaries are allowed in official scrabble rules.... or maybe those are just my rules. ask mandy - she LOVES scrabble.

talk to you soon
j
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  
I was playing scrabble the other week and apparently there is this list of 2-letter "escape" words. There is some seriously stupid shit on there. Like "da - a ancient maorian hunting knife."

Talk about cheapening a game of intellectual skill.
Blogger kent, at 1:58 AM  

Add a comment