Rediculousness

My New Sweet Ride

Thursday, June 28


With summer crowds on the street cars and subway and the humidity in Toronto slowly creeping up to levels I’ve only experienced in tropical countries, it was time to find a breezy new mode of transportation. I haven’t had a bike since I got back from India where my sweet ride with its non functional brakes and crooked front tire that hinted at a past affair with a car, let me cruise through the chaotic traffic circles and police blockades. So off I went to the bike store with my budget in mind and hopes of finding a nice little road bike. Next thing I know my budget is blown out of the water and I’m test riding a bike that is worth more than anything else I own. Luckily I came to my senses and settled on a pretty sweet ride, the Lemond Etape. Since I live in the bike theft capital of North America (there are apparently more bikes stolen in Toronto than in New York…), I opted for the ridiculously expensive lock that guarantees it’s unbreakable and weighs enough to make you believe it.

I’ve been out for a few rides and I like the freedom or cruising around on my new bike. The street car tracks that criss cross downtown Toronto make riding interesting since they’re the perfect size to grab your front tire and send you flying as Jodie found out her first day on the road. She is still alive by the way just with a few scabs to look hardcore. But, in downtown at least, riding a bike is faster than transit in the summer.

This weekend will put the new bike and my ass to the test since we’re heading out to ride around the wineries and the falls at Niagara.

Happy Canada Day Weekend Everyone!
nicholas, 9:26 AM

5 Comments:

That's a sweet lookin' ride.

Happy Canada Day!
Blogger kent, at 8:52 AM  
It is a pretty sweet ride. Did about 100K around Niagara this weekend but the highlight was riding to a few wineries to taste the local brew and then having bread, blue cheese and ice wine for lunch. Mmmm, I could get used to cycling!
Blogger nicholas, at 8:32 AM  
you seem to have forgotten about the bike you inheited from sando.... that one is still eagerly awaiting your return at the norfolk bike rack.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM  
Haha, I'll have to get it shipped to Toronto. That's a sweet bike waiting there. Maybe Sando will want to bring it back with him.
Blogger nicholas, at 9:16 AM  
Kay - my new favourite thing is definitely riding around with you! We should go find some sweet routes that take us out of town. This weekend maybe?
Blogger Lightfooted, at 2:57 PM  

Add a comment